You are here
Principal Investigator Eligibility
- The PI must have a primary appointment at an AREA-eligible institution.
- The PI may not be the PI of an active NIH research grant at the time of an AREA award.
- Instrumentation awards (S10), conference grants (R13), and institutional training grants (T32) are examples of grants that are not considered research grants.
- The PI may not be awarded more than one AREA grant at a time.
- Eligibility applies only to the PI and Multiple PIs, not to collaborators, consultants, or sub awardees.
Considering a collaborator at an ineligible institution?
Prohibiting awards to already NIH funded PIs is central to the AREA program goals and was introduced in Fiscal Year 1986
See also: AREA Program Institutional Eligibility